Code of Conduct
The CMOS Centre - Halifax is committed to providing an environment of safety and respect for employees, contractors, board members, committee members and volunteers. We endeavour to ensure no one will be subject to discrimination, harassment, abuse or any other conduct that diminishes dignity and worth of the individual. We endeavour to ensure no one will be subject to discrimination, harassment, abuse or any other conduct that diminishes dignity and worth of the individual.
What is discrimination?
Discrimination is differential treatment based on one of the following grounds that has an adverse impact on an individual or group: race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, record of offences, marital status, family status and disability.
What is harassment?
Harassment refers to any abusive or unwelcome behaviour, conduct, talk and/or written correspondence that is directed at and is offensive to any person. Harassment may be based on the grounds listed above, or may be personal harassment.
The following are examples of inappropriate conduct that may be in violation of this Code of Conduct:
- Derogatory or inappropriate comments, teasing, bullying, innuendoes or taunting.
- Display or circulation of inappropriate, derogatory or offensive written materials, cartoons or pictures.
- Inappropriate physical contact.
- Physical or verbal abuse.
- Refusing to communicate, converse or work with an individual.
- Sexual assault/abuse.
- Suggestive looks, leering, staring or gestures.
- Unwelcome and unsolicited sexual advances.
- Reprisal or threat of reprisal for the rejection of a sexual advance.
How may I contribute to an environment free of discrimination and harassment?
- Treat all people fairly and with dignity and in the manner you wish to be treated.
- If you are unsure whether a remark, action or written comment may be considered offensive, do not make it.
- Don't make jokes at another person's expense.
- Speak up against harassment and do not tolerate conduct or comments of a discriminatory nature.
What is the process for reporting misconduct?
The CMOS Centre - Halifax wants everyone to feel safe at meetings, sessions and work place settings. If you encounter misconduct of any nature, please report it immediately.
Any breach of this code of conduct may result in immediate suspension of duties and privileges.
The chain of reporting is as follows:
1. Chair - CMOS Centre - Halifax - Jim Abraham (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
2. Chair of the CMOS Congress 2018 Local Arrangements Committee - Dave Wartman (email: email@example.com)